An organization which has a focused approach towards diversity & inclusion in the workplace have the knack of hiring the top talent in the industry. Despite several efforts made by companies, most are unable to attract diverse talent. Getting up to the challenge cab be quite rewarding.
Companies which comprise of a diverse team have more potential for growth. Research has proved that companies which promote diversity and inclusion outperform their contemporaries. Something as simple as physical diversity has a positive impact on the productivity of employees. Companies which are not in keeping with the latest diversity model seem to be falling back on profits and unable to recruit the best talent.
The following are some of the best ways of implementing diversity and inclusion in the workplace. These include:
- Initiate a sense of belonging within the company. Every employee must be made to feel welcome. They should be positive that their presence is much welcomed. This can help them build connections with the people in the workplace. This in turn has a positive impact on their performance. It can improve creativity and engagement in the workplace. However, it should be kept in mind that the progress isn’t just a one off but something which is inculcated from day one. Working on diversity mean you are also working on inclusion.
- Empathetic leaders are key. They should have the emotional intelligence to understand their employees. Understand them and be genuinely interested in their ideas. When leaders understand how one feels when they are excluded, they make sure that no one under them feels the same way.
- All members in the company need to be aware of the importance of their role within the company. It’s not just the senior leaders who are important but people from the very basic designations are just as important for accompany to succeed. When they are aware of their importance they strive to do a great deal better.
- Organizations should be more adaptive when it comes to inclusion within the work place. They should be careful when they are calling an individual to speak on behalf of others. They should acre of who is being called and whether someone whose input would be valuable is being left out? Leaders need to focus whether they are creating conditions in which every individual has the chance to contribute to the company. Do the employee feel safe and secure within the company and so on
- The focus should be on maximizing joy and connection and minimizing the fear. Employees’ should learn to be able to rely on their leaders and not be afraid of them. The key is to framing challenges in a way which would make people want to achieve and do better.
- The company shouldn’t optimize on finding employees which fit the bill. Fit is a dangerous word, it excludes people. In fact inclusion would mean equipping employees with the skills which are required to help the business meet any challenge heads on.
Keeping these basic principles in mind can help improve diversity and inclusion in the work place.