When you need to hire one
If you are like most people, you may have never heard about a probate lawyer until you actually needed one. So who exactly is a probate lawyer? A probate lawyer is someone who is responsible for filing the last will of a deceased person. They are also known as estate or trust lawyers.
Finding a probate lawyer in Sydney is not too difficult. What you actually need to know is find someone who would represent your interest in the best possible way.
- A probate lawyer would help you draft a will. It’s not something which one thinks about, but if you want to avoid any distress in the family, it’s a necessity.
- They also help people deal with trust planning, power of attorney and medical powers of attorney.
- In other words they help you with asset protection. It’s not exactly necessary to hire a lawyer to write a will for you. However, getting it done professionally helps to keep things in shape and explains everything in a clear manner so there is no confusion later on.
- However a lawyer is needed when the will is challenged. It is therefore necessary that a will should be made with the help of the right legal person.
Why is it necessary to make a will?
If you have been wondering why you would need to make a will, read the following suggestions.
- A will can direct family members and loved ones to carry out the wishes of the deceased person in a fair manner.
- It’s much better to make a will than having family members fight amongst themselves regarding the division of assets. Not only is it painful but is quite embarrassing for everyone involved.
- When the deceased doesn’t leave a will all their assets are divided according to the laws of the state.
- Things might get complicated if the deceased had step children or children through second marriage.
- Property which is acquired during a marriage is divided differently from property which had been gained in the form of a gift.
- A probate lawyer would be able to explain the division of assets in a better way. They can even help you plan out the right way in which the assets should be divided. They allow for the division to be as fair as possible.
- They can help draft a will which helps your family members divide the assets in an amiable manner. In other words it can help avoid any kind of dispute which might occur.
In other words a probate lawyer is someone you should go to when planning to draft a will. Ensure that before you hire a probate lawyer in Sydney make sure that they have the necessary experience in the field. Also complete some research on your own. Check out different websites of various probate lawyers. Choose someone with whom you feel you could work. Drafting a will is a serious matter and one which should be looked into to avoid any problems for your family later on.